Covid-19 alert issued for Australia-New Zealand flights


Health authorities said the traveler had visited New Zealand's national museum Te Papa as well as a number of restaurants, stores and tourist spots. Newsroom understands that on that day the exhibition queue and galleries were crowded and attendees were often in close proximity observing the works.

He said a lockdown or wider mask use are options on the table.

"New Zealand authorities were notified by their Australian counterparts Tuesday evening and the established processes of contacting the case's close contacts and getting further information about their movements while in Wellington was initiated".

Passengers on two flights between Australia and New Zealand have been ordered to immediately isolate and undergo Covid-19 testing after authorities traced a traveller who tested positive in Sydney after visiting Wellington.

The announcement said passengers on the flights are considered close contacts and must immediately get tested and isolate for 14 days regardless of the result. The Ministry of Health here now says four close contacts had been identified and were self-isolating.

The nation paused quarantine-free travel with Australia's New South Wales last night following a new outbreak in Sydney.

This comes after New Zealand shut the border from New South Wales for 72 hours.

Bloomfield said the man was doing "tourist things" while in the capital but the Ministry of Health was yet to contact the businesses and sites concerned ahead of informing the public of the locations of interest linked to the visit. The other is Air New Zealand NZ247 that departed Wellington Monday, June 21 10.13am and arrived in Sydney at 11:33am. The contract tracing team are tracking down 58 passengers who were on the Sydney flight the man was on.

NHC says Claudette weakens to tropical depression
The National Weather Service received three reports of tornadoes in southern Alabama and four in southwestern Georgia. Claudette was forecast to cross into the Atlantic Ocean on Monday, and eventually regain tropical storm strength.

This is the first time an Australian traveller has brought COVID-19 to New Zealand and since returned home.

The Health Ministry spokesman said genome sequencing was now under way in Australia to see if the case was linked to the current outbreak in Sydney.

Epidemiologist Michael Baker told Morning Report the travel bubble with Australia would need to be reviewed although overall it was "working well. we are learning as we're going along".

"It was a pretty miserable weekend in Wellington last weekend so we are hoping he didn't go out too much".

The recently confirmed case travelled from Sydney to Wellington and back again.

"This variant of concern means that you can start to become more infectious to people earlier on, so we know that you're very infectious with any variant or wild strain at about day 5 when you become symptomatic but certainly from day 3 onwards you can of course still infect people", McLaws said.

He said the person could have attended a wedding and that was known to be a super spreader event before.

The latest surge in cases in the Sydney Bondi cluster led NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian to extend the state's mask mandate for all indoor public venues to midnight Wednesday, June 30.