Ontario will begin third provincial shutdown on Saturday, April 3, 2021

Share

Ontario is pulling its emergency brake and putting the province into at least a 4-week long shutdown beginning Saturday.

Personal care services, which were supposed to open April 12th in grey zones, would have to stay shutdown. The capacity is 25 per cent for al other retail, including big box stores.

Residents are not allowed to gather indoors with anyone outside of their households.

Prohibiting indoor organized public events and social gatherings and limiting the capacity for outdoor organized public events or social gatherings to a 5-person maximum, except for gatherings with members of the same household (the people you live with) or gatherings of members of one household and one other person from another household who lives alone.

People should only leave their homes for essential reasons, which include heading out for food, medication, medical appointments and exercising outdoors. Restaurants, bars and other food or drink establishments will be permitted to operate by take-out, drive-through, and delivery only.

Ontario's science advisers are suggesting a stay-at-home order is needed to control Ontario's third wave of COVID-19.

"It's spreading far more quickly than it did before and we can not vaccinate quickly enough to break this third wave".

"Friends, right now we're into a third wave of COVID-19".

There are now, 2,116 confirmed COVID-19 variant cases in Ontario.

Douglas County reports 20 new COVID-19 cases; 213 remain active
Health officials are reminding British Columbians to avoid all non-essential travel and to follow health guidelines. Salina Regional Health Center has notified us that they now have one patient hospitalized battling COVID-19.

Dr. Wang said local officials can layer on additional restrictions if they feel that is necessary.

Almost one in six Canadians have now received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, with 5.1 million people vaccinated as of Thursday morning, according to Health Canada, which noted about 690,000 of those have received both doses.

With cases and serious infections on the rise, Ford said that "everything is on the table", but over the past week, he's taken to pointing the finger at millennials for driving the latest surge of COVID cases. The burden on Ontario hospitals had caused a backlog of almost 250,000 surgeries, many of them critical life-saving procedures, Brown said.

"This is risky for all of us", Dr. Wang said. I'm the one who has to make the tough decisions. "I would support their decision if it means the province as a whole has to go into lockdown". The case rate decreased to 44.7/100,000 and the Ro (effective) was 0.9. A shutdown would also impact students' mental health through increased loneliness and loss of sleep.

"Our situation remains precarious", Dr. Wang said.

Health unit regions transitioned back to the COVID-19 Response Framework, with five colour-coded levels of varying restrictions. Last week, the area had moved into the orange tier.

Earlier this week, the president of Ontario's Hospital Association (OHA), said hospitals reached a record high with at least 421 COVID-19 patients now in the province's intensive care units.

For more than a week in Ontario, the daily case numbers have been more than 2,000.

"Younger Ontarians are ending up in hospital and risk of ICU admission is two times higher and the risk of death is one and a half times higher for patients", he said.

Share