Multiple people shot at Indianapolis Fedex facility


A number of people were shot in an incident Thursday in the United States city of Indianapolis by a gunman who is believed to have then killed himself, police said.

Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers were called to 8951 Mirabel Road just after 11 p.m. Thursday on reports of shots fired.

At least four additional people were injured and transported to a nearby hospital. Another two people were treated and released at the scene, Cook said.

Flights from the nearby worldwide airport, where the FedEx Express cargo airline has a hub, are not affected.

In an earlier tweet, Perrine said Interstate 70 near the facility was closed in both directions, but it was later reopened.

One of the people in the lobby, Pardeep Sidhu of Plainfield, Ind., said his aunt and uncle worked at the facility and that a friend's 45-year-old husband had been shot there.

On March 22, 10 people were killed in a shooting at a grocery store in Boulder, Colorado.

Police said the gunman shot and killed himself and the public were not believed to be in immediate danger.

Patrol car vandalised after man who was shot by police dies
An officer fired at the vehicle, striking the driver, with the auto travelling several blocks before striking another vehicle. A woman who lives near the crash site said she saw officers pull a man out of a auto and perform CPR.

"We don't feel there is an active threat to the community at this time", Cook told reporters.

A witness says he "saw a man with a submachine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open".

FedEx released a statement saying it was cooperating with authorities and working to get more information.

"I am heartbroken by the mass shooting at the FedEx facility here in Indianapolis and praying for all affected by this tragedy", said US Congressman André Carson, a representative for Indiana.

Family members gathered at a local hotel to await word on loved ones.

Some said employees were not allowed to have their phones with them while working shifts at the facility, making it hard to contact them.

Live video from local television news outlets after the shooting showed crime scene tape stretched across a parking lot and people being escorted to IndyGo buses.

"We have located eight people with gunshot wounds who were pronounced deceased at the scene".