Dead officer and suspect identified after US Capitol incident


The U.S. Capitol went on lockdown after the driver rammed into the checkpoint shortly after 1 p.m. U.S. Capitol Police Acting Chief Yogananda Pittman told reporters Friday the suspect came out of the auto holding a knife and was shot by Capitol police after failing to respond to verbal commands.

Police opened fire and the suspect is dead, Pittman said. The second USCP officer was transported by a USCP cruiser to the hospital.

"We are devastated to share the sad news that one of our officers involved in this afternoon's incident passed away". The other officer remains hospitalized. "The Department immediately locked down the Capitol Campus", the USCP statement said.

Pittman, who lost another officer, Brian Sicknick, in the pro-Trump attack on January 6, said the past few weeks have been "extremely hard".

The other security staff who was injured is in stable and non-threatening condition.

"The tragic loss of Officer William "Billy" Evans is yet another reminder of the sacrifices USCP make every day to keep our nation's Capitol and those who work there safe", Manchin posted on Twitter.

"Officer Evans, his family, and all those who knew him are in our hearts and prayers".

President Joe Biden ordered Friday for flags at the White House to be lowered to half-mast.

"We do not have the suspect on file with U.S. Capitol Police", Acting Metro Police Department Chief Robert Contee said. "We know what a hard time this has been for the Capitol, everyone who works there, and those who protect it".

Chauvin Trial Day 3: Jurors, eyewitnesses watch body cam, surveillance footage
In March 2020, Ross drove Floyd to the emergency room because he was in extreme stomach pain, and she later learned he overdosed. Chauvin's defense team says that Floyd's physical condition, specifically problems with his heart, contributed to his death.

Authorities shot the suspect, identified by law enforcement officials as 25-year-old Noah Green.

Friday's mayhem came less than three months after a mob of Trump supporters stormed the Capitol in a bloody attempt to stop Congress from certifying President Biden's election victory.

Authorities have yet to release his identity. She and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer both spoke Friday with members of Evans' family. "This has been an extremely hard time for U.S. Capitol police after the events of January 6 and now the events that have occurred here today".

The D.C. National Guard deployed an "Immediate Reaction Force" to support Capitol Police during Friday's incident, according to a spokesperson.

A message played over the loudspeakers inside the Capitol complex said that all buildings were being locked down, and staff members were told they could not enter or exit the buildings. He expressed gratitude to the Capitol Police and the National Guard troops for responding quickly to the attack. Some were then seen surrounding roadblocks that had previously been installed on Capitol Hill.

In February, Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman testified that even before the 9/11 attacks, security experts, including former chiefs of police, argued that more needed to be done to protect the Capitol complex.

A security review requested by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a California Democrat, in the aftermath of the riot and conducted by a task force recommended eventually replacing the barrier with mobile fencing and "an integrated, retractable fencing system" that could be used as needed.

The Washington region remains on edge almost three months after a mob of armed insurrectionists stormed the Capitol as Congress was voting to certify Joe Biden's presidential win. About 800 of those loyalists broke inside the Capitol, and five people died in the siege, including a Capitol Police officer. The driver slipped through a gate that had opened to allow traffic in and out of the Capitol and rammed a barrier that had protected the building long before January 6.