Coronavirus: New Zealand temporarily suspends entry of travellers from India amid surge

Share

The ban will begin on Sunday and will remain in place until April 28, she said. "The temporary hold would also help reduce the risk that travellers themselves faced".

In the past 24 hours, New Zealand has reported 23 cases of Covid identified in people arriving in NZ, with 17 of the new cases coming from India.

The government had been reviewing its border settings in recent weeks, Ardern said, adding that ultimately New Zealand wanted to see fewer cases arriving in the country. India on Tuesday recorded over 1.15 lakh cases while 630 new fatalities were reported from across the country in a day. "This is the second time we were trying to return", Shobha Atre said on social media. Similarly, cases have increased in Delhi.

India has been struggling with a sustained outbreak. During this time the government will look at risk management measures to resume travel, she said. "Advice is people are likely getting the virus.as they travel to an airport and before they board a plane".

The ban covers all travellers, including New Zealand citizens and permanent residents.

"It is about exploring additional options, making sure that pre-departure testing is as robust as it can be".

Jordan Begins Arrests in Possible Plot Against King
Government officials were not immediately available for comment. "Its a very sad and unfortunate turn", he added. "The official media is totally silent and we know that there is much more to the story that we are not seeing".

New Zealand has banned entry for all travellers from India temporarily amid COVID-19 cases spike.

This comes as New Zealand and Australia have agreed to start a bubble from April 19th.

It was announced this week that a quarantine-free travel bubble with Australia would operate from April 19.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern also said that the government would be looking at risks posed by other COVID-19 hotspot countries as well in its future course.

Director-General of Health Ashley Bloomfield confirmed this afternoon that a border worker had tested positive for Covid-19.

The country's Director-General of Health Dr Ashley Bloomfield confirmed the man, 24, had not yet been vaccinated and travels to work in a private auto with a colleague.

Share