Kate Middleton spotted paying tribute at Sarah Everard vigil


Earlier on Saturday, Met Police officer Wayne Couzens, 48, appeared at Westminster Magistrates' Court charged with Ms Everard's kidnap and murder.

London police faced an official inquiry into their actions after they intervened on Saturday night in the vigil for Sarah Everard, 33, who disappeared as she walked home on March 3.

The latest development follows a weekend of protests and vigils as women expressed their anger at the murder, the continued harassment of women on the streets, and policing.

British Home Secretary Priti Patel and London mayor Sadiq Khan have called for an independent investigation into the Metropolitan Police's actions at a vigil in memory of Sarah Everard.

Dame Cressida said yesterday: "What happened to Sarah appals me".

The woman, who only identified herself as Georgina, insisted in an interview with the news outlet Lambeth Life that a male officer ostensibly said the police had "had enough tonight with the rioters [during the vigil]" in response to a policewoman telling Georginia that the flashing-related incident would be looked into.

In response, the crowd chanted "shame on you", while during another confrontation a distressed woman could be heard telling officers "you're supposed to protect us".

Four arrests were made for public order offences and for breaches of coronavirus regulations.

London police chief Cressida Dick backed her officers and said that they needed to make a very hard judgement.

"The Duchess wanted to pay her respects to Sarah and her family", a Palace source said, reports The Sun.

"I think domestic abuse is an absolute illness in our society", she said. Her body was found a week later.

United Kingdom variant of COVID-19 found in Ottawa County young person
The PGC found it in the samples of an overseas Filipino worker who returned from Brazil and hails from Western Visayas. This brings cases for those variants to 177 and 90, respectively.

Shadow home secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds criticised the government for responding with "yet more meetings and another consultation" at a moment when the country is "demanding action to tackle violence against women and girls".

At the time, Commander Catherine Roper, the Met's lead for Community Engagement, said in a statement the vigil could not go ahead because of Covid restrictions.

A crowd of people disregarded COVID-19 restrictions on Saturday night and gathered to mourn the woman's suspected killing and used the tragedy to underscore the dangers that women face in the city.

Khan, London's mayor, said Sunday the police force had assured him the vigil would be "policed sensitively" but that this wasn't the case.

Jamie Klingler, who organized the cancelled "Reclaim These Streets" event, blamed police for denying women their right to have a silent vigil in the first place.

Journalist Rachel Loxton was one of many who called out a perceived difference in policing on Twitter. "I think it was wrong and I am pleased it is now going to be reviewed".

But the force defended its officers, saying that police "must act for people's safety".

Patsy Stevenson, who was pictured pinned to the ground by two officers during Saturday's clashes, said she was considering whether to challenge the $278 fine she received.

Britain's top police chief came under heavy pressure on Sunday after officers handcuffed mourners at a vigil for a woman who was murdered after setting out to walk home, in a case that has sparked national fury about violence against women.

People will gather at Parliament Square later on Monday under the banner "End Violence Against Women".