Police called the incident an "active shooter investigation", and O'Shea said the situation was under control later in the evening.
The suspect was taken into custody.
A shooting at a bowling alley in Rockford, Ill. "We do have three individuals that are confirmed deceased", police chief Dan O'Shea said in a press conference outside the building. They are not intended and should not be thought to represent official ideas, attitudes, or policies of any agency or institution. None of the officers fired their weapons and the suspect was taken into custody.
The department had earlier tweeted https://bit.ly/3rFLyiS that there was an "active shooter investigation near Don Carter Lanes on E.State Street".
Winnebago County State's Attorney J. Hanley said Duke Webb, 37, of Florida, has been charged with three counts of murder and three counts of first-degree attempted murder in the shooting at Don Carter Lanes, in Rockford, Illinois, late Saturday.
'Attempt to divide and mislead,' say farmer leaders after PM Modi's speech
Modi's outreach comes a day after India's main opposition party called for a special parliamentary session to withdraw the new laws.
Police said some people were shot outside the building and some inside.
At least two teenagers were among those shot, O'Shea said, but he couldn't provide further details on the people who were injured or killed.
Mayor Tom McNamara released a statement saying he was "angered and saddened" about the shooting.
Rockford is about 90 miles northwest of Chicago, near the Illinois-Wisconsin border.
The mass shooting takes the number of homicides in Rockford this year to 35, making it the deadliest year on record.