Pizza worker's 'customer' lie caused 6-day lockdown in South Australia

Share

Authorities determined the pizza bar was a COVID-19 hotspot.

They were not satisfied with "the feeling they got from this", South Australia Police Commissioner Grant Stevens recalled during the press conference.

The man told contract tracers he was simply a customer at Woodville Pizza Bar, leading health officials to believe a super strain of the virus had taken root in the area.

"This person's failure to be truthful with contact tracers means his close associates - who we understand he's had close contact with - haven't been identified and are now in the community", Mr Stevens said.

"Their (the man's) story didn't add up".

The commissioner said although the employee's actions had an "unbelievable impact" on South Australians, there was no penalty for lying and he won't yet be charged or fined.

"I think the actions in the first instance where appropriate ... the contact tracing process is not as straightforward as people might expect it to be and the need to act quickly is always there", he continued.

"I can't elaborate any further in relation to the circumstances, this is obviously now an ongoing investigation".

The state was plunged into one of the strictest lockdowns in the world Thursday after contact tracers said a man became had become infected after buying a takeaway pizza.

IPhone throttling lawsuit settled for $113M
And the issue first came to light when Apple users complained about it on Reddit and tech blogs. Under the settlement, Apple did not admit to any wrongdoing or breaking any law.

When South Australia made a decision to enter a state-wide lockdown it was based on a lie told by a man tested positive for Covid-19 and then began a series of assumptions which culminated in lockdown.

Australia has relied on lockdowns, widespread testing and aggressive contact tracing to push daily infections close to zero.

Premier Marshall said it was not yet clear what the man's motivation was.

South Australian Premier Steven Marshall announces restrictions being eased in South Australia after a lie the discovery that a man misled contact tracers. "The selfish actions of this individual have put our entire country in a very hard position, and his actions have affected companies, individuals and family groups which is totally and absolutely unacceptable".

'In fact, South Australia was doing so well that we had more people employed in October than we had in January, February this year, ' he said.

Will the restrictions be revoked completely?

On Friday, the ban on outdoor exercise and dog walking was lifted when the news of an infected pizza shop worker came out.

South Australians are urged to wear masks where they can not physically distance.

It turns out, however, that he had been in close contact with the shop's security guard, who was among an outbreak of 36 positive cases in Adelaide.

The Indian Express is now on Telegram.

Share