Nagorno-Karabakh defence ministry reports 54 more military casualties - Ifax

Share

Heavy fighting on the ground continued for a fifth consecutive day despite mounting global concern. While it saw several major flare-ups occurring in 2014, 2016, and in July of this year, the current escalation marked with casualties on both sides is the most serious so far.

An Armenian defence ministry spokeswoman said the Armenian Sukhoi Su-25 warplane had been on a military assignment when it was downed by an F-16 fighter jet owned by the Turkish air force.

What do worldwide powers say?

The leaders expressed "readiness" to see a statement made on behalf of the co-chairs of the Minsk Group - Russia, France and the USA - that would call for an "immediate" end to fighting and start of talks, the Kremlin said.

Macron stated that France has confirmed the transfer and added that the Russians also have this information.

The three countries co-chair the Minsk Group, set up by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) to encourage a peaceful, diplomatic resolution to the Nagorno-Karabakh dispute.

Russian Federation is a party to a military alliance with Armenia, and it has a military base in the country, although it also has close relations with the government of Azerbaijan.

About 200 troops have been wounded, but many were only slightly hurt and have returned to action, the Armenian Defense Ministry said.

Ankara has been accused by Armenia of supplying fighters to the conflict, drawing them out of northern Syria - charges denied by Turkey and Azerbaijan. He even recalled how Pakistani fighters were present in Nagorno-Karabakh when war erupted in 1990s.

Trump says USA election victor might not be known for months
The president also continued his criticism against the states where ballots are mailed automatically to registered voters . He claims the alternative voting option will cause more instances of fraud and will disproportionately benefit Democrats.

The Kremlin has signaled it has no desire for such a conflict and called for an immediate halt to the fighting, urging Turkey to persuade Azerbaijan to return to talks.

Macron's statements were confirmed by the Syrian civil war watchdog, the United Kingdom -based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (SOHR).

"We also call on the leaders of Armenia and Azerbaijan to commit without delay to resuming substantive negotiations, in good faith and without preconditions, under the auspices of the OSCE Minsk Group Co-Chairs".

What is happening on Earth? "Turkey's North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies must explain why these [Turkish] F-16 jets are shelling towns and villages in Nagorno-Karabakh and killing civilian populations", he said, referring to reports from earlier this week that an Armenian air force jet had downed a Turkish fighter.

Some of Turkey's North Atlantic Treaty Organisation allies are increasingly alarmed by Ankara's stance on Nagorno-Karabakh.

Finally, I thanked my interlocutors for their respective contributions to the medical evacuation under way of the two Le Monde journalists injured in Nagorno-Karabakh yesterday. Azerbaijan said references to drones were misinformation.

Azerbaijan's civilian death toll has risen to 19, with 55 wounded, its prosecutor general's office said.

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev said on Tuesday that 10 civilians had been killed since the fighting with Armenian forces began on Sunday, the Interfax news agency reported.

A mountainous area of about 4,400 square kilometers (1,700 sq mi). John Eibner, labeled the assault "a renewed attempt to destroy one of the world's oldest Christian communities", which "risks setting off a new regional war".

Share