On Ladakh Clash, China Sticks to Its Stand; Says 'India Entirely Responsible'

Share

The Indian government has not confirmed the news, nor confirmed that any of its troops were missing.

"After the incident, China and India communicated and co-ordinated through military and diplomatic channels", Zhao said. China has not said whether it suffered any casualties in what was the deadliest conflict between the sides in 45 years. The two sides should scrupulously and sincerely implement the understanding that was reached by the Senior Commanders on 6 June.

The deaths happened in the thin air at 4,270 metres above sea level, when soldiers brawled with clubs, rocks and their fists with no shots fired, Indian officials have said.

Defence analyst Ajai Shukla tweeted a photo of rods studded with nails that were purportedly used by Chinese troops.

Under agreements in the 1990s, the two sides have said they will not use arms near the border.

Hashtag #BoycottChina has been going viral on social media in India.

The Indian and Chinese armies were engaged in a standoff in Galwan and several other areas of eastern Ladakh since May 5 when the two sides clashed on the banks of the Pangong Tso.

Those were the first casualties faced by the Indian Army in a clash with the Chinese PLA since 1975 when an Indian patrol was ambushed by Chinese troops in Arunachal Pradesh.

"The overall situation at the border of China and India is stable and now under control", Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Zhao Lijian said at Thursday's press conference responding to a question that if the tensions will continue to escalate.

Twitter flags Trump's tweet of doctored 'racist baby' video
Last month, Trump's feud with Twitter escalated when it placed a warning label to the president's tweets about mail-in voting. Twitter in March used the "manipulated media" warning to mark a video of Biden shared by President Donald Trump .

China on Wednesday claimed "sovereignty over the Galwan Valley region" - a claim rebutted by India as "exaggerated and untenable".

Indian Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar will join the June 23 meeting, which will be held virtually, ministry spokesman Anurag Srivastava told reporters in New Delhi.

The 10 soldiers were freed late Thursday, the Press Trust of India news agency and other media reported.

The Indian government and security officials believe that the situation will remain tense in the coming months even as both countries are trying to resolve the vexed issues through dialogue.

Having actively sought greater economic engagement with China, Modi is compelled to review the state of those ties, just at a time when the United States relations with Beijing have also deteriorated.

Kashmir mapWhy were there no guns?

India and China accuse each other of instigating the fight in the Galwan Valley, part of the disputed Ladakh region along the Himalayan frontier.

China never accepted its colonial-era border with India, and those tensions turned to war in 1962.

Earlier Chinese Foreign Ministry and its army had asserted that Indian troops had provoked the violence by crossing over to their territory.

Share