Novak Djokovic has been among several top players critical of the idea of staging the US Open as scheduled given the severe US impact of COVID-19, although cases in the NY area have been declining for several weeks.
World number ones Novak Djokovic of Serbia and Australian Ash Barty along with reigning U.S. Open men's champion Rafa Nadal are among the top players who have expressed concerns about attending the NY tournament. It marked his second major in 2019, after clinching an incredible 12 French Open title, and 19 overall Grand Slam title - moving to within one major title to level the all-time record in men's tennis held by Switzerland's Roger Federer.
Nadal, last year's U.S. champ, has expressed more reasonable reservations about the safety of NY, one of the world's hardest-hit cities, even though the Big Apple has worked hard to reverse our April peak. Osaka won the U.S. Open in 2018, beating Williams in the final.
"I'm extremely happy and excited to see that all the tournaments, especially Grand Slams, are organising their events", the 33-year-old 17-time Grand Slam champion said.
"I know there have been some criticisms as well especially coming from the West: 'why do we have a crowd?"
Dimitrov spent ten days in Zadar, playing in two tennis tournaments.
The site will also host the ATP/WTA Western and Southern Open, typically staged in Cincinnati, the week before the US Open with a similar safety "bubble" that includes testing for players and their entourage.
Vanessa Bryant pushing ‘Kobe and Gianna Bryant Helicopter Safety Act’
Vanessa Bryant is making a special plea to congress in honor of her husband Kobe Bryant and their daughter Gianna "Gigi" Bryant . Pilot Ara Zobayan told air traffic controllers he was climbing, when in fact he was descending, shortly before the crash.
Last week, the ATP and WTA said they were restarting their tours in August.
The development comes just a few days after the announcement of tennis's return was made, with the US Open getting the go-ahead for late August.
"I'm very glad to see in the news that the ATP calendar and US Open series it's going to happen this year and the comeback of worldwide tennis".
Defending champion Rafael Nadal said he would be unlikely to travel there in the current circumstances while women's world number two Simona Halep has also indicated she will not go.
Wary of the fall-out, the USTA said $6.6 million will be put aside as compensation for those affected by missing out on the 128-player main draw.
Australian Nick Kyrgios on Monday blasted the USTA for being "selfish" by pressing ahead with the U.S. Open on its original dates.