Prince Andrew defers navy promotion in wake of Epstein scandal

Share

The UK government said it would be advising local councils that there is no requirement to fly the flag that day, following his decision to step back from public duties.

Ms Bloom said the woman came forward because she was "incensed" that Prince Andrew had denied meeting Ms Giuffre in his BBC Newsnight interview.

After the cancellation of a planned birthday celebration, the Duke of York also saw how frustrated the USA authorities got after he allegedly snubbed them when they tried to arrange an interview with him.

Town halls and other civic buildings in the United Kingdom will no longer be required to fly the Union flag to mark royal birthdays, the government has announced.

Prince Andrew said: "It has become clear to me over the last few days that the circumstances relating to my former association with Jeffrey Epstein has become a major disruption to my family's work and the valuable work going on in the many organisations and charities that I am proud to support".

Since Prince Andrew was first named in connection to sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in last August, the royal family have been working hard to manage the fallout.

Andrew, who is eighth in line to the throne, qualifies for the flag-flying because he is a child of Queen Elizabeth II.

Prince Andrew defers navy promotion in wake of Epstein scandal
Prince Andrew defers navy promotion in wake of Epstein scandal

"As head of state, the Queen fulfilled her responsibilities to the nation by punishing him as she did [by having him step back from royal duties]", 9Honey's royal columnist Victoria Arbiter wrote today.

Prince Andrew has asked to defer a military promotion to Admiral after stepping down from public duties.

Prince Andrew is trying to protect the Queen, but he did fail recently when he was called out for not cooperating to authorties over the Epstein issue. The only thing the royal family members can do for now is to understand that he is doing all those things for them.

In damage-control efforts following his BBC interview, Andrew expressed regret for his "ill-judged association" with Epstein.

After Berman's "zero cooperation" statement at a January 28 press conference, sources close to Andrew claimed he had not yet been approached by US authorities, the Guardian reported.

Reports say that a reference to Prince Andrew was also taken off the website. Buckingham Palace refused to comment on Berman's claims, only saying the matter was being dealt with by the prince's legal team.

USA lawyers for alleged victims of Epstein last week accused Andrew of failing to cooperate with investigators, saying it was a "slap in the face" to the victims.

Coronavirus: Newborn becomes youngest person diagnosed with virus
Several countries, including the United States, have banned entry to visitors who have been in China over the previous two weeks. After Britain advised nationals to leave China, Beijing's ambassador to London said there should not be "such a panic".

Share