One 22-year-old arriving at a Beijing train station from northeastern China said her family had urged her to delay her return.
The World Health Organization declared the outbreak an worldwide emergency.
The city of Huanggang, east of Wuhan, said only one member of each household would be permitted to leave the house every two days to buy necessities. A second hospital is set to open soon after.
"We try to keep families together whenever possible, and we have raised this with the government of China", the statement said.
As a result of US declaration, foreign nationals who have traveled to China in the last two weeks and aren't immediate family members of USA citizens or permanent residents will be temporarily banned from entering the US, according to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar.
With the outbreak showing little sign of abating, authorities in Hubei and elsewhere have extended the Lunar New Year holiday, due to end this week, well into February.
"The main reason for this declaration is not what is happening in China but what is happening in other countries", WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus explained. Doctors, nurses, funds and medical materials poured into the city for help. The U.S. has recorded eight cases. "This patient came from the epicenter of this outbreak". All Hubei schools are postponing the start of the new semester until further notice.
Zhejiang province has the highest number of confirmed cases outside central Hubei province at 661 confirmed infections, with 265 of those in Wenzhou.
Spain confirmed its first case, a German man who had close contact with an infected person in Germany and then travelled to the Canary Islands with friends.
Klopp: If people think I'm lazy, I can't change that
As long as you can make the next step, you are in the right place and we just have to make sure that they do them as well.
The United States, Australia, New Zealand and Israel banned foreign nationals from visiting if they had been in China recently, and warned their own citizens from travelling there. Apart from damaging China's global reputation, such steps could worsen a domestic economy already growing at its lowest rate in decades.
The 44-year-old man died on Saturday after losing his battle with the deadly virus, that claimed the lives of 304 people in China.
After the outbreak, the Chinese government is responding swiftly with strong measures.
Countries including Japan, Britain, France and the United States have scrambled to evacuate their nationals from Wuhan, with more governments planning airlifts.
"Foreign nationals, other than immediate family of U.S. citizens and permanent residents. will be denied entry into the United States Health Secretary Alex Azar had announced". South Korea now has 15 cases.
China flew overseas Hubei residents back to the centre of the outbreak in Wuhan on chartered planes from Thailand and Malaysia, citing "practical difficulties" the passengers had encountered overseas.
That declaration "flipped the switch" from a cautious attitude to recommending governments prepare for the possibility the virus might spread, said the World Health Organization representative in Beijing, Gauden Galea.
Health Sec. Francisco Duque said that, as of Saturday, 24 other individuals considered by government as patients under investigation tested negative for the 2019-nCoV, while authorities await the results of samples from 4 others.