Coco Gauff knocked out of Australian Open by Sofia Kenin

Share

Coco Gauff will leave Australia believing more than ever that she belongs on the big stage after her fine run at Melbourne Park ended with a fourth-round loss to fellow American Sofia Kenin.

Given how poised she is and the maturity of her game, it's easy to overlook the fact that she's still just 15, came into this match off matches against three tough opponents - including Venus Williams and defending champion Naomi Osaka - and did her best to handle all the hype surrounding her remarkable progress.

Watch over 50 sports LIVE on Kayo! Kenin converted an outstanding 73% of her first-serve chances, which helped keep Gauff at bay.

The Florida native burst to prominence past year when she became the youngest ever woman to qualify for the main Wimbledon draw, making an impressive charge to the fourth round.

Gauff was under the cosh immediately against Kenin, the 21-year-old breaking in the first game at Melbourne Arena and comfortably holding for a swift 2-0 lead.

Kenin defeated Serena Williams at the French Open past year and is on the verge of the top 10 but so far has been somewhat under the radar.

Another: She is taking online classes and said she's been given permission to turn in homework late, "considering the circumstances".

However the match wasn't without controversy, with the pro-Gauff crowd overstepping the mark on several occasions.

Kenin will next play either Ons Jabeur of Tunisia or No. 27-seeded Wang Qiang, who upset 23-time major victor Serena Williams in the third round.

There were tears for her, too, and she said: "I was just so happy to have won. I mean, it would be pretty cool". "Even today, even though I lost, I still had a lot of fun".

Sofia Kenin after securing the comeback win.

Kenin said: "It was such a tough match, she's such a tough player, all respect to her". But I will try as hard as possible.

Dual Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has praised the manner Australia's Ash Barty has handled the pressure of her home Grand Slam, saying she deserves to be the world No.1.

Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic celebrates after defeating Greece's Maria Sakkari in their fourth round singles match at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne Australia Sunday Jan. 26 2020
Petra Kvitova is into her fourth quarterfinal appearance at the Australian Open. AP

Undeterred by chants of, "Let's go, Coco, let's go", Kenin who fought her way back into the match, getting the crucial break in the second set when Gauff served three double faults in the fourth game.

Petra Kvitova battled back from a set down to defeat Greek Maria Sakkari 6-7 (4-7) 6-3 6-2 and reach the last eight in Melbourne for the fourth time in her career.

She will next play either top-ranked Ashleigh Barty or Alison Riske, who play a fourth-round night match at Rod Laver Arena.

Regardless, Barty has already done plenty to impress Kvitova.

"And a 29-year-old retiring, so I'm very close but, yes, I hope not yet!" She has a big name. "She's dealing with it like probably nobody else", Kvitova said.

She had a great 2019.

Until what certainly felt like her last chance, Williams came with a cross-court forehand victor to close a 24-stroke point, then raised her arms, held that festive pose and looked at her guest box.

Wang credited that with prompting her to spend more time in the gym so she could add more oomph to her shots.

The spunky Kenin, best known for upsetting Serena at the French previous year, broke the teen early but the lead wouldn't last long. "(It) will be a great matchup if we play".

"So maybe I relaxed a little bit more and I don't see that these tournaments are so out of reach anymore". I wasn't really nervous. I don't really care.

"I was expecting a fight", Sandgren said.

"It's nice on one side". On the other side, it's the tennis, and it's not a Fed Cup.

Coronavirus patient showed mild symptoms on flight
Aside from China and Canada, cases have been reported in the U.S., Japan, South Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam and Hong Kong. China first alerted the World Health Organization of the virus, known as 2019-nCoV, on December 31.

Share