Thomas Cook holidaymakers won't be left stranded, Foreign Secretary says

Share

No official statement has been released by Thomas Cook, but the company is telling customers via Twitter to carry on as normal and that if it collapses, all holidays will be covered as they are Atol-protected.

Thomas Cook, a British travel company that's been around for more than 100 years, met with shareholders on Sunday in the company's fight to avoid bankruptcy.

"We don't systematically step in with the taxpayers' money when businesses are going under unless there's a good strategic national interest", Dominic Raab told the BBC, adding that plans were in place to prevent anyone from being stranded.

The holidaymaker, who has not been identified, is understood to have told staff at the hotel "can you let us out, we want to go home" during the dispute on Saturday night.

"We will know by tomorrow (Sunday) if agreement is reached", the source told AFP.

Thomas Cook has stopped sending holidaymakers to a Tunisia hotel which demanded money from guests in what one tourist described as "like a hostage situation".

Following the news of a proposed rescue deal from its largest shareholder, Fosun Tourism Group, and its CEO's less than optimistic comments on job security, the Thomas Cook share took tumble this week.

"Anyone due to stay at this hotel will be offered an alternative hotel in Hammamet".

Suffolk travellers are anxiously waiting to hear if they will be able to jet off on long-planned holidays, or be able to fly home as planned, as the future of tour operator Thomas Cook hangs in the balance.

. "The owner and the staff locked the door, they don't let anybody out and don't let any coaches in until they are paid".

Manchester City hit Watford for eight in English Premier League
Manchester City really wanted to get the taste of a shock loss to Norwich last weekend out of its mouth. This memorable victory came three days after a 3-0 midweek Champions League win over Shakhtar Donetsk.

He said many tourists refused the demand since they had already paid Thomas Cook, so the hotel's security guards shut the hotel's gates and "were not allowing anyone to leave".

General Secretary Manuel Cortes called for an urgent meeting with Business Secretary and South Northamptonshire MP Andrea Leadsom.

The government has been urged to help Thomas Cook.

He said in a letter: "It is incumbent upon the Government to act if required and save this iconic cornerstone of the British high street and the thousands of jobs that go with it".

"We've still not heard anything from Thomas Cook".

Rebecca Long Bailey, Labour's business spokesperson, said the government "faces a simple choice between a 200 million-pound government cash injection to save the company now versus a 600 million-pound bill to repatriate United Kingdom holidaymakers".

"After an hour they left the hotel and are now at the airport", said a spokesman for the Tunisian interior ministry.

Frank said we'll have to wait over the weekend to see if they can secure that funding from other investors.

Share