‘Stay Away’: Iran’s President Issues Warning to the West to Keep Out

Share

Speaking during a military parade, President Hassan Rouhani said that the presence of foreign forces in the Gulf could cause problems for the world's "energy security".

United States and Saudi officials have blamed Iran for drone attacks last week on Saudi oil facilities.

The Pentagon on Friday announced it will deploy additional US troops and missile defense equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, as President Donald Trump has at least for now put off any immediate military strike on Iran in response to the attack on the Saudi oil industry. "If they are truthful and really seek security in the region, they must not send weapons, fighter jets, bombs and risky arms to the region". "The farther you keep yourselves from our region and our nations, the more security there will be".

In recent weeks, Trump had weighed the possibility of easing sanctions on Iran and suggested he could meet with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, who is due to attend the UN General Assembly in NY this week.

Taking on a much more amiable tone, Rouhani said the Tehran government is focusing on improving regional relationships and wants to "extend the hand of friendship and brotherhood" to its Persian Gulf neighbors.

Iran has long sought the evacuation of Western and USA forces from Arab Gulf countries, seeing it as a potential threat to the Persian nation.

Saudi Arabia has described the strikes on the Abqaiq and Khurais facilities as a test of whether there is global will to preserve worldwide order, and will seek to form a united front at the United Nations General Assembly.

A senior military official warned Saturday Iran would destroy any aggressor as tensions escalate with the United States following the US troop announcement.

Attack on the Saudi Aramco oilfields led to Saudi Arabia halving its oil production
Attack on the Saudi Aramco oilfields led to Saudi Arabia halving its oil production

Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said the US sanctions policy is not working.

UN Special Envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths said in a statement it was important to "take advantage of this opportunity and move forward with all necessary steps to reduce violence, military escalation and unhelpful rhetoric".

He said initial investigations have indicated that the weapons used in the attack were Iranian, adding probe was going on to determine the source of the strike.

"But to launch an attack from your territory, if that is the case, puts us in a different category. this would be considered an act of war". Yemen's Iran-backed Huthi rebels claimed responsibility, but the U.S. says attacks involved cruise missiles from Iran and amounted to "an act of war".

Despite the world-class assets and the fact that Saudi Aramco pumped just below 10 million bpd before the attacks - or more than the world's top four listed oil companies combined - financial analysts and investors told Bloomberg earlier this week that the valuation of the company may not fully account for major supply disruptions like the current one. The U.N., Gulf Arab nations and the USA accuse Iran of supplying arms to the Houthis, something Tehran denies.

Iranian parliament speaker Ali Larijani called the US-led coalition a "a new means for plundering the region", according to Iran's semi-official Tasnim news agency.

The administration has been reimposing sanctions for a year, ever since Trump unilaterally withdrew from a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran and world powers.

Taiwan And Kiribati Cut Diplomatic Ties Amid China Tension
China was trying to "suppress and reduce Taiwan's global presence" and "ultimately destroy Taiwan's sovereignty", Wu said. The Kiribati president's office and China's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Share