New Zealand Terror Attack: 50 killed in attack on two Christchurch mosques

Share

Turkey's president is getting slammed for using the vile Facebook live-stream of the New Zealand mosque shootings at his campaign rallies.

"We, the New Zealand Police, will do everything we can to support our wider community and in particular our Muslim communities".

At weekend election rallies Erdogan showed video footage of the shootings, which the gunman had broadcast on Facebook, earning a rebuke from New Zealand's foreign minister who said it could endanger New Zealanders overseas. "This was not an individual act, but organized".

President Erdogan has broadcast clips from the video filmed by the New Zealand mosque killer during an election rally.

He has said the gunman issued threats against Turkey and the president himself, and wanted to drive Turks from Turkey's northwestern, European region.

At a rally on Monday Erdogan said: "You will not turn Istanbul into Constantinople", referring to the city's name under Christian Byzantine rulers before being conquered in 1452 by Muslim Ottomans.

Saudis held 3 court sessions on ‘heinous’ Khashoggi killing
Mr al Aiban also said the case of the detained women's rights activists was based in law and was not an attack on human rights . Aiban said that there had so far been three hearings, and that the accused and their lawyers had been present.

"If you come with the same intention, we'll be waiting for you", he said, warning they would be sent off just like their ancestors "without doubt".

Erdogan stressed that the Turkish authorities are well aware of what and when to do.

According to BBC News, he went on: 'Anything of that nature that misrepresents this country - given that [the suspect] was a non-New Zealand citizen - imperils the future and safety of the New Zealand people and our people overseas and it's totally unfair. He said Turkish authorities were investigating his visits and his contacts.

On Friday, Erdogan said the suspected gunman had "targeted our country, our nation and myself" and said countries around the world, particularly in the West, needed to guard against the rise of Islamophobia.

A senior Turkish security source said Tarrant had entered Turkey twice in 2016 - for a week in March and for more than a month in September.

Describing the incident as a massacre, Anadolu news agency quoted Erdogan lashing out at one of the attackers, who prior to the attacks emailed an 87-page manifesto to Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern's Office, where he had allegedly mentioned about his earlier visit to Istanbul apart from propagating anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim ideas.

Share