At least four USA troops killed in Syria blast claimed by Isis

Share

Earlier, Reuters news agency quoted an unidentified "U.S. official" as saying four American soldiers were killed and three wounded in the blast.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Wednesday's bombing, claimed by the Islamic State terror group, has left 20 dead, including five us troops.

The Americans have conducted patrols in the city, in vehicles, and on foot, to act as a buffer between Turkey and the US -led coalition's Kurdish partners, a group that's been critical to the fight against ISIS but which Ankara classifies as terrorists.

An attack in Syria killed several American troops, the spokesperson for the US mission against the Islamic State confirmed Wednesday.

At least 16 people, including four US soldiers, were killed in an attack on Wednesday in the Syrian city of Manbij, US officials and a war monitor in the region said.

A Syrian war monitor, the Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, reported earlier that at least two US soldiers were killed in the suicide attack outside a restaurant in Manbij.

While the trip proved illuminating for the President, however, it did not shake him of his conviction that USA troops should begin returning after years of overseas engagements, and there were few indications on Wednesday that the attack in Manbij would throw him from his goal.

Young Thanos Revealed In 'Avengers: Infinity War' Concept Art
Usually, you can learn a lot about how the film adaptations will come about by reading the comic books. The ones who were martyred in Avengers: Infinity War while protecting everyone.

Only two troops had been killed in action in Syria previously, a Pentagon spokesman said.

On Wednesday, a witness in Manbij said the attack had targeted a restaurant where American military personnel were meeting members of the local militia that Washington backs there.

Analyst Mutlu Civiroglu said it was not immediately clear what the USA president meant by a "safe zone", or who he thought would patrol it. The U.S. hailed that victory as a significant milestone in the ultimate defeat of ISIS in Iraq and Syria.

What's next: Citing a rebel commander backed by Ankara, Reuters reports that Syrian rebels in Turkey are awaiting "zero hour" to attack Manbij.

The attack came weeks after U.S. President Donald Trump said the group had been defeated there and that he would pull out all American forces. Since then, United States officials and Trump himself have suggested the withdrawal would be slower than initially thought. Last week, White House National Security Adviser John Bolton went to Ankara seeking agreements on conditions for the USA withdrawal and guarantees not to attack the SDF, but Erdogan refused to meet with him.

Manbij has been held by US-backed fighters allied to the Kurdish YPG militia since they took it from ISIS in 2016.

"It raises the question of how Manbij would fare absent the current US force posture, given recent proposals for Turkey to establish a safe-zone in the region", he said.

Share