Golden Knights win Game 1 of Stanley Cup Finals


None of the remaining six Stanley Cup Final games is scheduled to go head to head with the National Basketball Association.

The Eastern Conference champion Capitals hadn't given up this many goals in 29 games since March 18, but they hadn't seen anything like this charmed run by the upstart Knights. We just tried to outwork who we're playing against and it worked.

Nicklas Backstrom, with a goal and an assist, Brett Connolly, John Carlson and Tom Wilson replied for the Capitals.

Forward Tomas Nosek scored a go-ahead goal midway through the third period and had an empty-net goal with 2.7 seconds left. "I expected it the whole time, that's why I moved from the goalie's eyes to the backdoor, so he could pass it to me". The Golden Knights kept rimming the puck around the boards in their own end, and the Capitals read it every time.

"And the horn sounds, and that takes care of the first!"

Monday marked the first game for the Capitals in the final since their only other appearance in 1998 when they were swept in four straight by the Detroit Red Wings.

When they are forechecking, they're so quick they get on you right away.

FSU Rallies Past Louisville to Claim Second Straight ACC Crown
Dave Van Horn and the Razorbacks finished the season with a 2-1 loss to LSU in the SEC Tournament semifinals and a 39-18 record. Despite not making it past year , the Gamecocks earned an at-large bid to the tournament after the selection show Monday.

Both coaches will get more familiar with each team as this series goes along, from additional video of their opponents' structure to a deeper understanding of which matchups to exploit and which ones to avoid.

The extravaganza was capped off by boxing announcer Michael Buffer introducing the starting lineups.

A drum line with flashing lights pumped up the crowd during breaks, while Canadian-born professional fan Cameron Hughes danced and hurled T-shirts into the stands.

It marked the first time the Golden Knights trailed at home in regulation in the playoffs, but it didn't last long, as Karlsson made it 2-2 less than three minutes later, putting in a shot from the right side of the net off Holtby's shoulder during a goal-mouth scrum. The Golden Knights were quicker and more tenacious out of the gate, but the Caps were able to fight through that slow start and get their offense going - including striking for two goals in 42 seconds toward the end of the opening frame.

Reaves, who shoved down Carlson to create room, evened the game at 4 in the third period, but NBC analyst Mike Milbury lit into the referees for not calling a penalty.

Monday marked the first game for the Capitals in the final since their only other appearance in 1998 when they were swept in four straight by Detroit.

"Lot of up and down". The Capitals blew two leads in the game, with tying goals coming in very short order after they had taken the lead. "The fans have been great, and they brought it tonight".