3 die, 23 hurt as Manila hotel fire rages over 9 hours


On a Sunday morning, fire swept at the Waterfront Manila Pavilion, a hotel and casino complex, was still raging six hours after it began.

It remains unclear if the fire started in the casino on the lower floors or in a mezzanine area that was under renovation.

A fire at a hotel in the Philippine capital killed three people on Sunday and injured almost two dozen, police and rescue officials said, with two people listed as missing.

Johnny Yu told, "The two are a security guard and a treasury officer".

Around 300 guests and more than 70 employees, who were evacuated from the Manila Pavilion Hotel and Casino as the fire raged through several floors, have all been accounted for, firefighters said.

All the victims were employees at the hotel casino owned and operated by state gaming regulator Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp.

Federer beats South Korea's Chung to reach Indian Wells semis
Even though he couldn't match the effort in the second set, it was a better match than he gave the 20-time major victor last time. Chung is expected to rise to a career high of No. 23 on Monday. "I'm really honored to be number one Asian", Chung said.

"The smoke was so big, so you can just imagine, there was zero visibility and our firefighters had difficulty breathing".

"The employer, Waterfront Hotel, is mandated by law to maintain occupational safety to its workplace and if the fire was due to unsafe and unhealthy workplace, the DoLE is supposed to file the proper charges if warranted", said Paras.

President Rodrigo Duterte saw the billowing smoke and made an aerial inspection Sunday as he flew back to Manila from a northern city where he delivered a speech before Philippine Military Academy graduates, his aide said.

Senior Inspector Crossib Cante, chief of the Manila Bureau of Fire Protection Station 3, said they recovered the body of Jo Cris Sabido last.

In another unfortunate incident, a small passenger plane carrying five people crashed into a house shortly after takeoff north of Manila yesterday, killing all those onboard and five people on the ground, officials said.

In the city of Davao, 38 people died in a fire in December that ravaged a shopping mall and call centre.