Neighbors unaware of problems with Wells family


Neighbors never suspected there was any trouble among the family next door. In fact, they just considered them to be normal neighbors.

Christopher and Amara Wells lived on a quiet street in Monument never even giving a hint to those who lived near them that there was trouble in their marriage and there was definitely not any indication of violence.

Amara herself may not even have known that after 12 years of marriage there was a potential dark side to her husband. On Feb. 22, almost seven months after Amara filed for divorce, she was stabbed to death in what authorities allege was a planned homicide by Wells. Also killed was Wells’ brother-n-law Bob Rafferty.

So when neighbors found out about the death of Amara and that her husband may have played a part in her death they were stunned.

“It was a very big shock,” said one neighbor who wished to not be identified.

Another neighbor, Ed Jones, said he did not know the Wells family really well except to wave “hi” and exchange a few words across the fence.

“The seemed like a normal friendly family,” Jones said.

Jones was aware his neighbors were getting a divorce but didn’t know the details of it. He also added that he never once saw the police at the residence while the couple was still together.

According to court records Amara told authorities that they began to have problems in their marriage when Wells starting abusing drugs and refused to get help.

Jason Oringer, general manager at Rocky Mountain Auto Brokers where Wells used to be employed, said he never knew Wells to be a violent individual.

“He never showed any violence. He was very open about the fact that he was bipolar,” Oringer said. “He (Wells) attributed his quirkiness and wackiness to it (the bipolar disorder).”

Wells was fired from his job as a finance manager in June 2010, however Oringer said he was not aware that Wells was using drugs. He did know that Wells was getting divorced. “He started to lose interest in his job and wasn’t as focused as he used to be,” Oringer said, citing the reasons for the firing.

Authorities have not said why Amara fled the couple’s Monument home on July 31, 2010 with their 5-year-old daughter and moved into a home in Douglas County with Wells’ sister and her husband.

The day after Amara left Wells destroyed all her clothing and left it on his sister’s driveway. On Aug. 2 Amara sought a protection order against Wells which stated he was to stay 100 yards from her and the daughter and he was not to contact her.

Over the next few months Wells sent hundreds of texts and e-mails and tried to call Amara repeatedly.

According to the affidavit Amara told authorities that she was “scared to death” of him. In one text Wells said to Amara, “As you know ignoring me has and will always have a negative impact.”

Amara and Rafferty were found dead in the Douglas County home on Feb. 23.

On Feb. 17 Wells was charged with violating conditions of bond and violations of the protection order. He was arrested by the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office on the outstanding warrant in Douglas County. He was transferred to the Douglas County jail the next day.

Wells is being charged with murder in the first degree after deliberation, solicitation to commit murder and conspiracy to commit murder. Also arrested and charged in the deaths of Amara and Rafferty are Josiah Sher, Matthew Plake and Micah Woody, all former co-workers of Wells.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment