Firefighters extinguish Burgess Road house fire
Black Forest firefighters quickly stopped a house fire last night on Burgess Road, just east of Vollmer.
All damage was contained to the structure, with no spread to the surrounding forest. No people or animals were injured.
Early in the evening, the homeowners noticed the smell of smoke in the house. When they investigated, they found smoke rising from the chimney, and heavy smoke in the garden-level basement. A smoke alarm on the upper level had begun to sound.
The family immediately left the house, not even stopping for their shoes. They called 9-1-1 from a cell phone, and stayed safely outside.
Only a few minutes after the owner’s call to 9-1-1, firefighters arrived from Black Forest Station One. The house is only two miles from the station.
“When a fire is quickly discovered and quickly reported, that always helps firefighters,” noted Black Forest Fire Chief Bob Harvey. “We can do an even better job when smoke detectors are installed on every level of the home, to give homeowners an even earlier warning of a fire.”
The first-arriving firefighters included both paid and volunteer firefighters who were on duty. When they arrived, they saw well-developed flames in one of the rooms of the garden-level basement.
More Black Forest volunteers arrived within minutes, along with engines and firefighters from the Wescott, Tri Lakes - Monument, and Falcon fire departments. Deputies from the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office shut down a section of Burgess Road to allow fire trucks to safely operate.
Fire damage was mostly contained to two rooms, but the rest of the house was heavily damaged by smoke. The family has been temporarily displaced, and was offered immediate support from the Pikes Peak Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Firefighters removed drywall from several walls and ceilings to ensure that the fire was not smoldering unseen. A Black Forest team remained at the house for the rest of the night, watching to make sure that the fire did not re-ignite from hidden embers.
The fire is under routine investigation by the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office, which has not yet determined the cause.