Saudi Arabia Boosts Troop Levels in South Yemen as Tensions Rise

Share

The United States, EU, and the United Kingdom have all thrown their support behind the Stockholm Agreement, with Washington insisting that the UN's mandate in Yemen include specific clauses that point directly to the role that Iran and the Islamic Revolutionary Guards have played in the conflict.

Panel chair Kamel Jendoubi declined to reveal details of the list of suspects, adding: "What is sure is that we have gathered sufficient facts and sufficient testimonies that would allow to bring those individuals to justice at a later stage".

In a press release on Tuesday, the UN said individuals in the Yemeni government and the coalition, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, may have "conducted air strikes in violation of the principles of distinction, proportionality and precaution, and may have used starvation as a method of warfare, acts that may amount to war crimes".

Al-Maliki emphasized that the recent repeated terrorist attempts by the Houthi militia show the desperation among the Houthis owing to the great losses they have suffered at the hands of the coalition forces.

Neither the Saudi government communications office nor UAE officials responded immediately to requests for comment. The Saudi-led coalition of Sunni Muslim states intervened the following year to restore the ousted government, a conflict that has since killed tens of thousands of people.

Читайте также: In 26 minutes Newcastle boss Bruce satisfied with Watford draw

In the report's appendix, investigators listed the names of more than 160 key actors in Yemen's war - all Yemeni, Saudi or Emirati nationals - but did not state whether any of them have committed potential war crimes.

Since 2015, fighting in Yemen has claimed tens of thousands of lives and sparked what the United Nations calls the world's worst humanitarian crisis.

While most of the abuses have been previously reported by journalists and human rights groups, the report is striking for its broad demand for accountability.

"Five years into the conflict, violations against Yemeni civilians continue unabated, with total disregard for the plight of the people and a lack of worldwide action to hold parties to the conflict accountable", Kamel Jendoubi, the Tunisian head of the investigations team, said in a statement.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Share