Three US troops, one contractor killed in Afghanistan explosion

Share

A bomber targeted a convoy carrying foreign troops outside Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan on Monday, two Afghan officials said, after the Taliban claimed responsibility for a suicide blast.

In February, acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan said he had not received orders from President Donald Trump to reduce the number of USA troops in Afghanistan by half, but US military planners had been tasked with a possible troop reduction after internal discussions began late past year, according to US officials.

The injured were evacuated and were receiving care, the Pentagon said.

The bombing was the deadliest incident for Americans in Afghanistan since November, when a roadside bomb attack in the country's eastern Ghazni province led to the deaths of four USA servicemembers. It added that in accordance with U.S. Department of Defense policy, the names of service members killed in action were being withheld until after the notification of next of kin.

This comes after new developments on the peace efforts which include the formation the Reconciliation Leadership Council chaired by President Ashraf Ghani which according to officials will create a unified stance on the Afghan peace.

Nipsey Hussle's Memorial To Be Held At The Staples Center
The harshest criticism came from those who questioned why the celebrated Kenyan rapper was paying tribute to an American rapper. On Saturday, Kodak said he will "pursue" Lauren during an Instagram Live video, explaining, 'She gonna be a whole widow.

Abdullah said the Taliban could partake in elections and even compete for the presidency if they renounce violence.

The Taliban have held talks with a US envoy in recent months while continuing to carry out daily attacks on Afghan forces.

The deadly bombing comes amid ongoing talks between the US and the Taliban aimed at reaching a peace agreement to end the war, now in its 18th year.

Seven US service members have been killed in Afghanistan this year.

Share