Saudis held 3 court sessions on ‘heinous’ Khashoggi killing

Share

The accused in the killing of Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul in October previous year have so far attended three court hearings along with their lawyers, Al-Aiban told the Council.

While the government has accepted recommendations in its current review to provide a transparent investigation into the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, Saudi Arabia rejected recommendations calling for participation of global experts in the investigation.

Interpol has issued a red notice for the arrest of 20 suspects believed to be involved in the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, including a top adviser to Saudi Arabia's powerful crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman. It said earlier on Thursday that Saudi authorities should disclose the names of defendants and the charges they face if it want to avoid questions over the "sincerity of judicial proceedings in the kingdom".

Three dozen countries, including Turkey, called on Saudi Arabia last week to cooperate with a United Nations -led investigation into the murder of Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and critic of the kingdom's rulership. The suspects, dubbed as the execution team who returned to Saudi Arabia after killing Khashoggi at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, will now be sought for arrest throughout the world.

He insisted that his country was "horrified by what has happened pursuant to this unfortunate accident". More than a month after his death, the Central Intelligence Agency concluded Salman ordered Khashoggi's death.

Gambino crime family boss fatally shot at Staten Island home
More recently, Cali was reputed to be the leader of the Gambino crime family, having assumed the top role in 2015 . Business Insider reported in 2013 that Cali had reportedly turned down an offer to head the crime family.

He told the council that most of the recommendations Riyadh had received regarding how to pursue the Khashoggi case during the so-called Universal Periodic Review (UPR) in November were already guaranteed by its constitution.

Aiban said that there had so far been three hearings, and that the accused and their lawyers had been present.

Mr al Aiban also said the case of the detained women's rights activists was based in law and was not an attack on human rights.

Matthew Forman, a political counsellor for the British mission in Geneva, said his country was "disappointed" that Saudi Arabia did not fully accept its recommendation on the use of a "specialized criminal court".

Share