Man died after vape pen exploded and sent debris down his throat

Share

A Fort Worth, Texas man has been killed after an e-cigarette blew up in his face and severed a major artery as he vaped for the first time.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner's office says that William Brown died in a Fort Worth hospital on January 29 - just weeks shy of his 25th birthday.

"It just all seems so unreal". "That three-piece thing went into his throat and stayed there", she continued.

Mr Brown had visited the shop to seek help using a Mechanical Mod style pen - a model known to have issues, a local CBS News affiliate reported.

William Brown died two days after the January 27 explosion, which sent shrapnel into his neck and skull. Brown's grandmother said he sat back inside the auto to use the device when the battery exploded.

He also suffered burns on about 80 percent of his body. In most of those cases, the explosion caused nearby objects to catch fire and 133 of the incidents resulted in injuries. He suffered from asthma and was told that a specialized vape pen might help improve his breathing, she told the newspaper.

Cedric Marks escapes in Conroe during transport to Bell County
Marks is wanted in connection to the murder of his ex-girlfriend Jenna Scott and her friend Michael Swearingin. Marks, 44, faces three pending murder charges , the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office said in a tweet.

Speaking with WFAA News, the 24-year-old's grandmother said Brown had borrowed her vehicle to run some errands, including stopping by a vape shop.

A study by George Mason University, published in the journal Tobacco Control, found that "From 2015 to 2017, there were an estimated 2035 e-cigarette explosion and burn injuries presenting to U.S. hospital emergency departments".

A more recent study, done in part by Dennis Thombs, dean of the School of Public Health at the University of North Texas Health Science Centre, showed that e-cigarette injuries are widely underreported across the nation.

A 21-year-old man from Louisiana, Mailan Krein, had his jaw broken in several places in November 2018, when a vape pen called VGod exploded in his face, according to Fox.

According to his grandmother, the 24-year-old had only bought the e-cigarette moments before it exploded.

Last year, Dennis Thombs, dean of the School of Public Health at UNT Health Science Center, published a study that concluded the number of vape explosions in the US were most likely underestimated.

Share