Epic pulls Fortnite ads from YouTube following child exploitation controversy

Share

According to Bloomberg, brands such as Nestle, Walt Disney and Epic Games have halted their spend on YouTube after child video exposé.

"The comment sections are often full of predators timestamping certain parts of a video that sexualizes the child or children in the scene, although the videos themselves aren't pornographic in nature", according to The Verge.

Watson also noted that, once he viewed the problematic content in question, he was stuck in a "wormhole" of similar, suggested videos - which contained a slew of pedophilic comments.

UPDATE: Feb. 21, 2019, 9:54 a.m. GMT A YouTube spokesperson wrote in a statement sent to Mashable: "Any content - including comments - that endangers minors is abhorrent and we have clear policies prohibiting this on YouTube".

He said in some cases, he uncovered links to child pornography posted in comments, which had been deleted when reported to YouTube.

It's now unknown when, or even if, Epic Games will reinstate their Fortnite pre-roll adverts.

Saudi Crown Prince Signs $20B in Investment Deals in Pakistan
Major roads in Islamabad were blocked off for Prince Mohammed's arrival with more than 1,000 police checkpoints set up. Pakistani riders drive past portraits of Pakistani and Saudi leaders displayed in Islamabad , Pakistan, Feb. 15, 2019.

Videos of children showing their exposed buttocks, underwear and genitals are racking up millions of views on YouTube - with the site displaying advertising from major cosmetics and auto brands alongside the content.

Over the past three days, YouTube has disabled comments on tens of millions of videos and terminated over 400 channels for comments they left on videos, and reported illegal comments to law enforcement, the video platform told creator Philip DeFranco on Wednesday.

This isn't the first time companies have pulled support from YouTube in response to a major issue.

For those that may not know what "pre-roll" means, it's an ad that pops up before a video begins to play. Disney and Nestlé are among those who have reportedly yanked spending after a YouTube video surfaced the ongoing problem. YouTube has been called out in the past for hosting videos that portrayed cartoon characters in inappropriate ways, but the latest episode is somewhat creepier. "There's more to be done, and we continue to work to improve and catch abuse more quickly", she added.

Several large companies have "paused" advertising on YouTube after video blogger Matt Watson posted a 20-minute video on Sunday that exposed how the video site has allegedly helped facilitate a "soft-core pedophilia ring".

"All Nestle companies in the United States have paused advertising on YouTube, a spokeswoman for the company said Wednesday in an email", Bloomberg reported yesterday.

Share