Saudi Crown Prince bin Salman ordered Khashoggi killing — Central Intelligence Agency

Share

The U.S. government has not reached a final position on the culpability for Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi's murder in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last month, despite reports that the Central Intelligence Agency had concluded that Khashoggi was killed on orders from Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Khashoggi was killed in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2; his death caused global outrage and pressure on Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. The paper said it was not known whether or not Khalid knew Khashoggi would be killed.

A Saudi Embassy spokeswoman said in a statement that "the claims in this purported assessment are false".

"We'll be having a very full report over the next two days, probably Monday or Tuesday", President Trump said Saturday. "As of this moment, we were told he had not played a role", Trump said.

Sen. Roy Blunt of Missouri told ABC "it's hard to imagine" that Crown Prince Mohammed didn't know about the killing, but he said, "I don't know that we absolutely know that yet". The resulting global uproar has called into question Saudi Arabia's investments around the world.

Saudi Arabia is a major oil supplier and a close ally of the United States in countering Iranian power in the Middle East.

Mr Trump also called the Saudis "a truly spectacular ally in terms of jobs and economic development" and that he would have to "take a lot of things into consideration" before deciding how to act. The Saudi government has attempted to whitewash the murder.

European Union foreign affairs chief Federica Mogherini meanwhile reiterated calls for a "thorough, credible and transparent" probe into Khashoggi's killing. He also said he wanted to preserve the strong relationship with Saudi Arabia amid the murder investigation.

Amazon’s massive Black Friday sale officially starts right now
Every year customers hungry for bargains take to outlets both online and in physical stores to make the most of the yearly event. The discounts began at midnight with the offers expected to continue until November 25.

But he added that it is "vitally important" that the Trump administration "not allow itself to become part of any Saudi coverup". "The State Department will continue to seek all relevant facts", according to CNN.

The Saudi government denies the claim. The Saudi government denies that.

Jamal Khashoggi was reported missing after he stepped into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul to obtain paperwork that would allow him to Wednesday his fiancee Hatice Cengiz.

Paul noted on CBS' "Face the Nation" that US intelligence indicates Khalid called Khashoggi at his brother's direction.

"I never talked to him by phone and certainly never suggested he go to Turkey for any reason". I think the kingdom will have a hard time on the world stage. "You saw we put on very heavy sanctions, massive sanctions on a large group of people from Saudi Arabia".

The reasons for her departure were not clear, but Ms Fontenrose recently travelled to Riyadh to discuss American sanctions imposed against the Saudi officials the United States identified as responsible for Khashoggi's death.

Trump faces intense pressure from senior Democratic and Republican lawmakers to take tougher action against Riyadh.

Share