NC Homeless Veteran And NJ Couple Face Conspiracy Charges After GoFundMe Debacle

Share

Now, prosecutors told WCAU that the D'Amico, McClure and Bobbitt all conspired together in the hopes of getting and diving up the cash.

Johnny Bobbitt was arrested in Philadelphia by members of the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force, according to the Philadelphia Police Department.

D'Amico and McClure surrendered Wednesday night.

All of the money raised through the crowdfunding website will be refunded to those who donated, Coffina said.

In case you've forgotten the details, Bobbitt is the homeless man who supposedly gave up his last $20 dollars to help a stranger named Kate McClure buy gas to get home.

The fund quickly grew to more than $400,000, with donations from more than 14,000 people.

Coffina added the trio may have gotten away with the scheme had the dispute between Bobbitt and the couple not become public. But after a judge ordered the couple to hand over the rest of the money, they claimed it was all gone.

They denied wrongdoing. Their lawyer did not answer a phone call.

In September, Bobbitt sued the couple, accusing them of withholding money from him and instead spending it on themselves.

Читайте также: Israel bombs Al-Aqsa TV station in Gaza

His and McClure's rural New Jersey home was raided by investigators executing a search warrant.

D'Amico and McClure countered that they were holding out for Bobbitt's own good because they accused him of relapsing into his drug addiction.

Shortly after the GoFundMe page was established for Bobbitt, McClure texted her friend about how the generous tale was "completely made up", according to The Associated Press.

D'Amico said that he had been controlling Bobbitt's money and said that he would dole out more funds when Bobbitt got a job and quit using drugs.

Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina is planning a news conference Thursday afternoon.

Coffina said nearly no part of the tale was true. Others believed Bobbitt was being robbed by an unscrupulous couple.

The pair denied the claims, but in August a United States judge ordered them to hand over the remains of the funds. The exact timeline for that isn't clear but will be "in the coming days" ahead.

"While this type of behavior by an individual is extremely rare", the statement continued, "it's unacceptable and clearly it has consequences. We are fully cooperating and assisting law enforcement officials to recover every dollar withdrawn by Ms. McClure and Mr. D'Amico".

In general, Whithorne says that platform issues of "misuse" affect "less than one tenth of one percent of all campaigns". "It's simply standard policy to remove fraudulent campaigns from the platform", Whithorne says.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Share