Khashoggi was suffocated in Saudi consulate - prosector

Share

The statement was the first public confirmation by a Turkish official that Khashoggi was strangled and dismembered after he entered the Saudi Consulate on October 2 to collect paperwork needed to marry his Turkish fiancee.

Turkey's public prosecutor announced that his country's investigation had determined that Khashoggi was strangled and dismembered as soon as he entered the Saudi consulate.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday called on the Saudi prosecutor to say who sent the team to kill Khashoggi.

Chief prosecutor Irfan Fidan said a meeting with his Saudi counterpart on Monday yielded "no concrete results".

"I and my government would like all those responsible, from the person who gave this order to those who carried it out, to be brought to justice and punished under worldwide law", she said.

Saudi Arabia has subsequently said that Mr Khashoggi was murdered, and that it is "determined to find out all the facts".

Hatice Cengiz, Khashoggi's fiance, recently gave an interview in London where she insisted that Saudi officials must've known about the murder, and said everyone involved should be punished.

Saudi Arabia says that 18 suspects in the case will face justice in the kingdom, despite repeated calls from Ankara for them to be extradited for trial in Turkey.

There is growing criticism of USA military support for Saudi Arabia's Yemen air campaign in the aftermath of the killing of Khashoggi in the Saudi Consulate in Turkey.

Riyadh sent the head of its investigation to Istanbul this week seeking to draw a line under a crisis that has brought near unprecedented scrutiny on Saudi Arabia.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle New Zealand Day 2 highlights
The country is the final stop for the royals who are on a 16-day tour which has seen them also visit Australia, Fiji and Tonga. The 24-hour crisis service offers free community helplines and text message support to people in New Zealand.

The Saudi public prosecutor found last week, however, that Khashoggi's murder had been orchestrated in advance.

CCTV footage given to CNN by the Turkish government on October 22 shows a man with a similar height and build to Khashoggi enter the consulate shortly before Khashoggi did, and then exit wearing Khashoggi's clothes after he disappeared.

After arriving on Sunday, Saudi Arabia's Attorney General Sheikh Saud al-Mojeb met with Fidan twice, visited the consulate and spoke with Turkey's MIT intelligence agency.

While Trump has called the case "one of the worst cover-ups in history", he warned against halting a Saudi arms deal, saying it would harm USA jobs.

Under mounting global pressure, Saudi Arabia has changed its narrative about Khashoggi's death several times.

'Naturally, after the first positive visit we had no reasons to think that there would be any sort of danger, ' Cengiz said.

But Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al Jubeir rejected the request, saying the men will be prosecuted in Saudi Arabia and dismissed media "hysteria".

According to Turkish prosecutor's office, the Saudi letter said Khasoggi's body can be located after the joint investigation works in Saudi Arabia and that it can also be ascertained if the murder was premeditated.

"Let's know who this co-conspirator is, we can shed further light".

Share