The Wall Street Journal reported that Google executives opted against notifying users earlier because of concerns it would catch the attention of regulators and draw comparisons to a data privacy scandal at Facebook.
Google also noted that the data that was exposed was limited to "optional Google+ Profile fields including name, email address, occupation, gender and age".
According to the paper, the memo said that while Google could not find evidence that the exposed data had been misused, it also could not prove that misuse did not happen. The consumer version of Google+ now has low usage and engagement: "90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than five seconds". "To give people a full opportunity to transition, we will implement this wind-down over a 10-month period, slated for completion by the end of next August".
Google said on Monday that hundreds of thousands of people who used its Google+ social network may have been affected by a security flaw that the company says it discovered and fixed in March. By the company's reckoning, up to 438 applications may have been able to access private profile data because of the software bug.
Following news of the exposure this week, Google issued a statement claiming they did not notify the public because there was no "evidence of misuse". "The consumer version of Google+ now has low usage and engagement: 90 percent of Google+ user sessions are less than five seconds".Читайте также: Venom opens to $205.2 million at the global box office
With that said, it's not likely that Google+ will be sorely missed, although it's certainly worth noting that it's shutting down.
Google+ is soon to be gone, but will you miss it?
Cambridge Analytica, a data firm with ties to President Donald Trump's campaign, accessed information from as many as 87 million Facebook users without their knowledge.
Google, replying to requests for comment, defended its decision not to disclose.
In its blog post announcing the Google+ shutdown, Google says it found the vulnerability as part of its Project Strobe review of third-party developer access to Google account and Android device data. "Whenever user data may have been affected, we go beyond our legal requirements and apply several criteria focused on our users in determining whether to provide notice", Google declared.При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.
Код для вставки в блог