Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats carry the bacteria that can cause these infections, Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but in most cases, people only get infected after being bitten. That's what happened in Manteufel's case.
Greg Manteufel loves dogs and had been around eight of them about the time he became ill, according to his wife Dawn Manteufel. "We can't wrap our heads around it", Dawn said.
Do you let your dog lick you? However, these infections in humans are extremely rare. Now, after losing both legs and parts of both hands as well as his nose, Manteufel faces a long road to recovery and rehabilitation.
"It hit him with a vengeance", Dawn Manteufel, his wife, told the news outlet. The Post reports that after surgery to remove dead tissue from what's left of his extremities, doctors are planning two more surgeries to clean more.
Munoz-Price said the case is simply a fluke.
Manteufel remains in the hospital recovering from multiple surgeries.
MANTEUFUL FAMILY UNREAL Doctors have said the virus is incredible rare
The family has since set up a GoFundMe to raise money for the operations and rehabilitation that Manteufel will need, and it's already raised over $10,000.
Greg Manteufel, 48, went to the emergency room with what he thought was the flu, but tests revealed he was suffering from an infection caused by bacteria in the saliva of dogs. "This infection in his blood triggered a very severe response on his body", said Dr. Silvia Munoz-Price, who is an infectious disease specialist with the Medical College of Wisconsin. Among the operations he will need is plastic surgery to rebuild a healthy nose.
Capnocytophaga can cause opportunistic infections, meaning they have to have the right conditions to cause an infection, such as when a person has a weakened immune system. The CDC says it's fatal in about 30 percent of people who get infected, sometimes within 72 hours of the onset of symptoms.
Manteufel contracted Capnocytophaga canimorsus, but there are other species of the bacteria that cause lesser side effects compared to what he had to go through. Any wound, even a tiny one which is not fully healed, can be a gateway for bacteria, and Manteufel's own pooch is the likely source of the bacteria.
Symptoms typically occur within 3 to 5 days.
White House under fire for barring CNN reporter from event
He added that he would consider a visit to Washington but noted there must be "necessary conditions", without further explanation. The administration said "There was no plot to exclude Fox News , and they had the same interview that their competitors did".